Thursday, August 23, 2012

Where Are the Moderates?

 

As I think I’ve said before, you aren’t typically going to find me talking a lot about political issues.  Even with (or maybe especially with) a major election looming, I’m not going to have a lot to say about what’s going on in the political spectrum.  There are a couple of reasons this is true. 

First, because while I have opinions about many things, I don’t really consider myself well-versed enough in a lot of issues to provide a well-rounded discussion, and the last thing I want to do is add to the insanity.  And, second, because, honestly, it’s just not all that much fun to talk about.  If you believe the political ads, the country is essentially doomed no matter who gets elected, and who wants to spend a bunch of time focusing on that?

But, for just a minute, I want to briefly say that I do worry about the fate of the good ol’ US of A.  I worry that my son won’t have the same opportunities I’ve had, and forget about his kids.  And the problem, as I see it, is that so many of those in positions of power have become far too extreme.  Or maybe they’ve always been that way, and improved media coverage just makes it easier to recognize.  I don’t know.  

What I do know, is that every day I read headlines from political entities that are just plain crazy over-zealous.  This week alone, I’ve heard of people who think that a woman can somehow physiologically prevent conception if she happens to be “legitimately” raped, that we need to prepare for battles in the streets should our sitting president be re-elected, and that we should just go ahead and dive off this “fiscal cliff” we’ve been tiptoeing around, because it would all work out for the best in the long run.  I think over-zealous is putting it mildly.

What I believe is that the problems of the masses are rarely solved by extremists at either end of a spectrum.  What I believe is that this entire country is facing difficulty, and we need to find a way to work together to get things headed in the right direction again.  So, I ask: where are all the moderate thinking people in power?  I’m certain they are out there, hidden under flurries of partisan busy work.  I wish they would step up and make themselves known. 

I’m a frustrated American, and I approved this message.