Sunday, August 5, 2012

Snapshot Sunday

 

I want to try something a little different today.  In keeping with my August commitments, I’ve been taking (and posting to Facebook) the pictures for the daily photo challenge I’m in, as well as the occasional other photo here and there.  In the past, I’d posted these photos here most every day, usually creating a post around the picture.  But I haven’t done that in a while, and I think that was another reason it became easy to drift away from the practice of daily photography. 

So, for the month of August (and maybe further on, if it suits me), I’m going to introduce Snapshot Sunday.  I thought I’d do a weekly round-up of my daily challenge photos, as well as any others that I might be fond of this week.  I play along with some memes from other blogs during the week (check out my entries under these labels: ABCW, #5QF, and 6WS) , but this is the first theme of my own that I’ve introduced here, so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes.

First, this week’s challenge pics (though this week actually began in July):

29.  Last thing You Bought

 

Prompt:  The last thing you bought.  As I mentioned before, I’m going to put a few of my photos in an Etsy shop, so I had to get some basic supplies to get them printed.


30.  Calm

 

Prompt:  Calm.  This is a gazebo in my neighbor’s yard.  Anytime I go by there, I think how restful it would be to have such a place of my own.  I’ve never seen anyone out there.


31.  Toothbrush

 

 

 Prompt:  Toothbrush.  Not really much to say about this, is there? Except that my batteries died a couple of weeks ago and I haven’t gotten around to replacing them yet.


1. Outside

 

  Prompt:  Outside.  Outside dining at my beloved Sonic.  Of course, around here, it’s rarely actually comfortable weather for outdoor seating, especially when it’s 110 degrees!



2.  One                                                            

 

  Prompt:  One.  One lonely cookie, and a bit of playing around with selective color.  I think you can’t tell that very much, because the box and crumbs are not obviously black and white, but it’s an early attempt.  Also, before the night was done, the lonely cookie had been put out of its misery.



3.  Coin 

 

  Prompt:  Coin.  My grandfather liked to collect coins.  Nothing really rare or valuable, just the slightly unusual, like silver dollars.  He gave me this when I was just a girl, and it became my lucky coin.


4.  Somewhere You Sat

 

  Prompt:  Somewhere you sat.  My stability ball.  I spend far too much time sitting on my butt, what with all the TV watching and computer browsing I do, so I try to make sure at least a couple hours a day or so are spent sitting on the ball.  More if I can, but while it’s easy enough to watch TV while bouncing, the movement has to be slowed down when I’m reading, and I can’t bounce at all when I’m writing.


So those are the photos from the challenge this past week.  I don’t know that I think any of those are really spectacular prompts, but still sort of fun, and they give a glimpse into my daily life. 

Other than the daily photo challenge pictures, my most common photos are of the birds in my yard.  Here are a few from this week that I sort of liked.

Double Birds

 

 

 

 

The feeder is a popular spot.  This is a painted bunting, and (I believe) a grey jay.

 

Deck Cardinals

 

 

 

The cardinals rarely venture too far out of the tree line, but this pair was interested in something on the deck—either some sort of dead bug carcass, or the ants said bug was attracting.


Double bird on tree

When I’m watering the cypress tree, the birds would much rather hang out there than in the bird bath, but close to the ground and the fresh water.

 

Okay, that’s it for the inaugural installment of Snapshot Sunday.  I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts on the theme, the pictures, or anything else that’s on your mind.