Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Y is for Yoda

 

Yoda

 

  Yep, you read that right:  Yoda.  Jedi Master.  Of Star Wars fame.  Regular readers here will know that I am a lifelong Star Trek fan, so may perhaps be surprised to find Master Yoda featured so prominently.  But I’ve never subscribed to the theory that fandom is an either/or thing; in my world, there is no war between the Roddenberry and Lucas universes; we all live in harmony.

  Which brings us to Yoda.  From his first appearance in The Empire Strikes Back, he has had my heart.  And how could he not?  First of all, he’s just absolutely adorable.  I mean, look at that face!  Some might not see the beauty in a wrinkled, hairy, green head—especially with large pointy ears sticking out—but I’ve never been so closed-minded.  Besides,  he’s tiny.  I think things that might be considered unattractive in larger packages are cute in miniature.  (And, let’s be honest; I really don’t think I’d want a six foot Yoda.)  But there’s more to him than looks.

We first met Yoda on the planet Dagobah, where he would train Jedi-to-be Luke Skywalker.  He is wise, and has much to teach the young man, though he is sometimes frustrated by Luke’s impatience.  But he is a natural-born teacher, and does manage to instruct Luke in many of the ways of the Force.  Along the way, we also get to learn from his philosophy, as well as being exposed to his rather unique language patterns.  My favorite quotation from Yoda (and really, one of my favorite quotes of all time), demonstrates both:  “Try not.  Do.  Or do not.  There is no try.”

Some other words of wisdom from the great master:

  • Always in motion is the future.
  • Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny; consume you it will.
  • Named must your fear be before banish it you can.
  • Much to learn you still have.

While all of these things were aimed at teaching Luke Skywalker how to master the Force and use it in defense of the Jedi way, they can all be applied to any aspect of our lives, and serve as good reminders now and again.  I know there are times I like to close my eyes and hear Yoda speak to me, especially the bit about “trying”; it’s always a nice kick in the pants.  And, really, which of us can’t learn a thing or two from a 900 year old, backward-talking green guy?

Also, what kind of cool fictional character would he be if we didn’t find Yoda in some Internet memes along the way?  And even if he is old, he can still stay current, so here’s one of my recent favorites:

yoda call me maybe

  

 

   That really made me laugh.  But, not to stray too far off-topic, or get caught up in the whole Wars/Trek battle mentioned previously, but it’s true that Spock’s version made me laugh even more.

spock call me maybe

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Lastly, I will leave you with a short, jazzed-up rendition of some Yodaisms; if you’re feeling lost, let him offer some guidance.  And remember, a Jedi’s strength flows from the Force.

 

 

Linking up with my penultimate post for ABC Wednesday.  It’s worth a stroll through the entries, as you’ll find things you probably never would’ve thought of.  And, if you’re looking for something fun to do for a weekly topic on your own blog, I’m pretty sure they’re already gearing up for the next round.  Check it out.

ABCW11