Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Door to Better Health (June Photos, Day 11)

11.  Door

 

Door was an easy prompt.  I mean, who doesn’t pass through at least half a dozen different doors a day?  But, of course, some are more important than others.

For the past eighteen months, as I’ve worked to get control of my weight, this particular door has become one of the most important in my life. 

This used to be my son’s room, but when he moved to his own apartment last year, I did what all the stereo-typical empty-nesters do; I took over the space and it became my work-out room.  My newest addition is the stationary bike you see in the corner, and it accompanies the exer-glider, mini-trampoline, and ab roller, along with the Wii console and a variety of games to keep me moving. 

Now, I’ve never been one of those folks who truly enjoys exercise—I’d be much happier sitting on the couch watching some TV—but I have at least reached the point where I don’t really dislike it.  That doesn’t mean I don’t still have to sort of talk myself into walking into this room, but I can usually convince myself pretty easily. 

Of course, usually is not always.  I’ve been in a bit of a slump for the past couple of months.  Ongoing unemployment, then Billy moving away, and most recently, the situation with Brian’s dad . . . it’s all combined to sort of weigh me down.  Or, more accurately, weigh me up.  I’ve put back on almost five pounds since I’ve been off work.  But that can’t continue.  I have committed to myself that I am done with the yo-yo weight thing.  I’ve done that for too much of my life.  Plus, I’ve also committed to myself that this is The Year of Me:  I am going to rid myself of stress and drama and get myself to the point where I’m truly content with my life. Reaching my goal weight is one of the keystone pieces of that plan, and I don’t intend to let that piece of the puzzle get lost.

So, I’ve been continuing my Couch to 5K program, though I did move it indoors to my glider due to some developing knee problems (apparently concrete and I do not mix well).  I began week 5 today, and I’m glad I have kept that going.  I also rode the bike, and used my stability ball.  And, most important at the moment, when I stepped on the scale today, two of those pesky pounds had come back off.  I’m glad to be moving back in the right direction. 

I’m not giving up on my health, and walking through this door every day leads me where I want to go.

What doorway leads to your success?

 

3 comments:

  1. WTG!! and yaye for losing those pounds
    Im a bit lazy at doing gym work too
    I LOVE my walks though :)I try not to miss a day if I can help it and have a goal to walk 500 miles this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say that even my walking has dropped off of late. Since I started the C25K program, I do that three times a week, and then usually only get in a good walk one other day per week. I have really been stuck in slug-dom! But I'm changing that, getting back on the right track.

      And good for you for keeping it up. Here in the States, we have a site where you can enter your mileage and it lets you virtually walk across the country on the TransAmerica Trail-shows you a picture for each spot that you're at. Do you have anything like that for some sort of trail over there? It's kind of fun to see that sort of progress. I think other countries can use the TA Trail site, as long as they don't register with their address. If you're interested, you can find it here: http://exercise.lbl.gov/index.html

      Delete
    2. good for you

      no not that U know of however Im trying to walk 500 miles this year which is like from Whangarei to Wellington in the North Island

      Delete