Friday, July 26, 2013

What’s New

 

Start where you are.  Use what you have.  Do what you can.” ~ Arthur Ashe

Calley, the girl who’s been training me at my new job, worked her last day yesterday.  So, obviously, that means today my first day on the job on my own.  All in all, I think things went pretty well.  Sure, there are a lot of things I don’t know yet, and I’ll probably ask about a jillion questions before it’s all said and done, but that’s the way new things are, right?  And I think I might feel sort of new for a while.  It’s kind of weird, but now that Calley’s gone, it’s almost like everything is brand new all over again, just like it was a couple of months ago when I first walked into the office.  But it’s going to be fun learning it all.

Also, I think I might’ve mentioned before that one of my professors wanted me to help her get the school paralegal club up and running again.  Well, we’re finally getting that project under way.  I was elected president of the club, so it’s going to keep me pretty busy for a while, but I think it’s a worthwhile way to spend some time.  The officer group had our first meeting last night, and I think we got quite a few things ironed out in the general, big-picture way, plus we’ve started planning a back to school mixer, which will be a fun way to get to meet (hopefully) the new students who are just joining the program this year, plus give folks a chance to get to know better people they might’ve been sharing classes with for a while now.  “Mixer” sounds a little old-fashioned maybe, but I think it’s quaint and should be a fun way to begin our networking, and our new school year. 

So, in the grand scheme of things. even though the summer semester is winding down (just 2 exams to take online this weekend, and one to study for and take next Tuesday, and summer session is OVER!), it looks like I’m going to have plenty of things to keep me busy for quite a while.  Here’s to keeping busy.

What sorts of things are occupying your time these days?