Monday, July 15, 2013

Changes

 

Illness strikes men when they are exposed to change.”  ~Herodotus

I don’t know about men, but I’m pretty sure that for this particular woman, that idea sometimes holds true.  At least as far as dealing with the physical requirements of change.  When I was offered this new job, set to begin the exact same day as the summer semester, Brian really didn’t want me to take it, though he recognized the wonderful opportunity it was to be working in my new field even before I graduated.  And, there’s no denying a little extra income has helped.  His second choice after turning down the job was for me drop at least one or maybe even two of my summer classes.  Well, for a whole lot of course scheduling reasons, I didn’t want to do that, either. 

Now here we are, six weeks later, and I’m worn to a nub and woke up sick today.  Nothing drastic, just some sortID-10084166 of stomach bug/headache thing, but it kept me in bed most of the day, so I had to call in absent to that still-newish job.  That sort of sucked.  And, I’ve tried to do a bit of homework the times I’ve been up, but I’m pretty sure I’ll have to be taking advantage of the fact that our professor will accept a very few late assignments, because I don’t think all three assigned case briefs will be done by tomorrow night.  I mean, they could be, if I stayed up half the night, but I can’t do that.  I’m going to try and find two more cases before I have to head back to bed, but there’s no way they’re going to be read and briefed tonight.                                                                      Image courtesy of Ohmega1982 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Still, even though I feel pretty cruddy right now, and even though the change of adding a new job to a full load of classes may be partly to blame, I’m still happy with the choices I’ve made.  The legal classes I’m taking are interesting to me, and they were not available any other semester, so I’m glad I kept them.  Even the math class, though I am in no way enjoying it, will be beneficial by allowing me a second degree, so I’m glad-ish that I kept it as well.  And as for the job, well, I’m gaining experience every day and getting the opportunity to see some of the things in real-life that I’m still reading about in textbooks.  How cool is that? 

So, this bit of upheaval in my life can’t possibly be a bad thing, even if it is wearing me down little by little.  It’s a short-term situation (just under three weeks of class left!), and I anticipate the fall semester will be much better.  I just need to get through July and then things should settle down considerably.  Just have to keep remembering that this is all change for the better.

 

Have you had any changes lately that are leading you down the path of illness?  Are they worth it?