Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Latest Theory

 

So, not much has crossed my radar lately that hasn’t been school or work related, but I read an article today that made me pause for a moment, just long enough to shake my head in wonder.  And it got me thinking. 

It seems the Reelz Channel will be airing a docudrama this fall with yet another theory on the assassination of President Kennedy.  Only this time, the second shooter isn’t a mobster or one of Hoover’s henchmen, nor was he a Russian or a disgruntled Teamster.  No, this time around the second shot came from an unexpected and unintentional source: a hung over, poorly trained Secret Service agent.  So I’ll just say it: that just seems unlikely.

Here’s my way of thinking on the whole JFK thing: 

  • I believe Oswald was probably not the only one involved. 
  • I don’t believe in any of the government involved conspiracy theories, not because I think those in government are above lying and covering up, but because I believe large numbers of people just can’t keep a secret.
  • And lastly, I believe we’ll likely never know the truth.  I mean, let’s face it, it’s been almost fifty years; I think if there were a definitive answer to be found, someone would have found it (see#2 above), and it would have been presented in such a way that there couldn’t be any doubt.

Still, I suppose it’s always interesting to hear new theories, even if I think most of them are just something to pass the time rather than anything to be taken very seriously.  Though I’ll also admit that there’s a part of me that wonders why we can’t just let it be.  I sometimes think how hard it must be for his family every time some new theory makes the headlines, and how unfair it is to them, though I’d guess they’ve mostly become immune to such things, which is a whole other story, and kind of a sad one at that.

What tidbits of news have made you stop and ponder lately?