Friday, July 19, 2013

Five Questions Before Bedtime

 

Welcome to the end of another very long week.  I am so glad to say that the summer semester is winding down, as I’ve decided I’m just getting too old for this non-stop schedule of mine.  I actually felt like I might fall asleep driving home today, and I have to tell you, that’s not a very good feeling.  I got home and fell into bed for a couple of hours, then Brian and I went out to dinner.  It’s the second Furlough Friday, so probably we should be more frugal with our funds since there’s another couple of months of furlough days coming up, but I was far too tired to cook.  And he’d been out mowing all day, so he was pretty beat, too.  Chili’s was much easier, and besides, they have these yummy jumbo pretzel appetizers.

But enough of that, let’s get on with this week’s questions.  Thanks as always to Mama M for hosting.


five question friday

1. What is one thing you have too many of in your house?

Probably plastic souvenir cups.  We don’t stand on formality around here, and most of our beverages are served in a plastic cup.  So if we’re out somewhere buying a drink and getting a reusable plastic cup is an option, I usually do that—especially if I’m someplace that I actually want a souvenir from.  The ones from vacations and such I always want to keep forever, but I’ll admit that we could probably stand to get rid of a few that came from the local football stadium.

2. Did anything go not quite as planned on your wedding day?

Well, of course.  Does any wedding day ever go completely smoothly?  Thankfully, though, I don’t remember anything too drastic going wrong.  Brian’s car had broken down the day before.  Something relatively simple (well, you know, for a car guy like him), so he could fix it up, but that meant he had to spend the morning of the wedding actually fixing it.  But since we were driving down to Dallas to catch the flight to our honeymoon destination, we sort of needed a car.  I don’t remember now why we couldn’t drive mine and let the repair wait until after we returned, but I know that’s not how it worked out.  Also, as Brian and I were walking out of the chapel, my dress caught on the hinge or something of the door, not only snagging me and slowing down our exit, but it ripped just a little bit.  Fortunately it was only the underskirt, but it still made me sad.  My guess is there were other small things that didn’t go as they were supposed to, but that’s all I really remember, so I’ll consider that a win.

3. What is your favorite summer smoothie recipe?

Nothing too fancy; I prefer a piña colada flavor, pineapple and coconut.  Though I actually make mine with a splash of orange juice, too, so it’s got a slightly different tang than just proper piña colada.

4. What is the weather like where you are?

It’s warm, hot even, but not the kind of miserable swelter that it often is this time of year.  We had some rain for several days earlier this week, so things were significantly cooler then—in the 80s—but it’s warmed back up now.  It’s supposed to be mid 90s for the next week or so, which isn’t too bad at all.  Nice summertime weather. 

5. What is your favorite book to read to your kids?

My kid is long past the reading to stage, but anything Seuss was usually a big hit in our household back in the day.  Also, I have to say that much of my fondness for the Harry Potter books likely stems from the fact that Billy and I sort of read them together.  The first one came out when Billy was about six or seven, and I read that one to him, with him watching the pages intently.  A year or so later when the second one came out, we took turns reading it to each other.  By the time the third (and subsequent volumes) came out, he was reading them on his own and we had to buy two copies because we both wanted to read them right away.  Fun times.

And, that’s that for the questions this week.  I’ve done my juvenile law worksheet, but won’t be able to upload until tomorrow due to routine server maintenance at the school.  I am considering doing one section of math homework, but the reality is I will probably jog in place for a few minutes (because I’m about one thousand steps short of my 8500 goal) and then go to bed.  Nap or no nap, I am still mighty tired.  As I might have mentioned, I am not getting any younger!

Goodnight, and happy weekends to you all.