Tuesday, July 23, 2013

It’s a Boy!

 

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are finally parents!


Honestly, I can’t tell you why it matters to me if a fancy-dancy couple halfway around the world has had a baby today.  But I can’t deny there’s a fascination with royalty in general, and English royalty in particular.  And, even more so, the younger generation of royalty, who seems intent on living their lives as normally as they possibly can, given their circumstances. 

And I’ll admit that sometimes I wish we had a royal family over here.  Oh, I know, that flies in the face of everything the country has stood for for the past two hundred and thirty some-odd years, but I can still wish every once in a while can’t I?  Of course, when push comes to shove, I’d probably be annoyed if someone got to be in charge of things just because they were born into a ruling family, though I think we’re all deluding ourselves if we still buy into the idea that just any child born into the United States can grow up to be president.  But I digress. 

But, whether it’s PC or not, I like the royals, complete with their traditions and their entitlements and their oh-so-proper ways.  I find it all a little bit charming and quaint, though I can recognize how it all might get a little old if we actually did have a royal family sitting around over here.  Oh, but I do have to say, taking a week or so to name a kid does seem just a bit over the top.

So, congratulations to Prince William and his lovely wife, Kate as they welcome their baby, His Royal Highness Prince Whoever He May Be of Cambridge.