Friday, July 5, 2013

On This Day

 

As I’ve surely mentioned, I like to take a peek at the day-in-history listings from time to time.  I especially like to do this on days that are important to me personally so I can see what other monumental things happened on any given date.

Take today, for instance . . .

 

  Way back in 1865, the Salvation Army was founded in London.  It had a different name back then, but their mission was still essentially what it is today: help people who need help.

 

 

In 1954, in Memphis, TN, Elvis Presley recorded “That’s All Right (Mama)” at Sun Records. There’s a lot of lore surrounding exactly how it is the whole thing went down, but all that really matters is that music would never be the same.

 


 

A little more recently, in 1996, Dolly, the cloned sheep, was born.  I know a lot of people think cloning a living being is the devil’s work, or at the very least, should not be man’s doing.  But I’m just enough of a geek that I think it’s really cool, and can only imagine the possibilities opened up by such a breakthrough.




And why does today’s date matter to me anyway?  Because on this day back in 1986, I became a Mrs. to Brian’s Mr.  Twenty-seven years, and we’re still going strong.  Tonight, we’re off to see a movie (The Heat) in a fancy-schmancy part of the theatre where they have reclining chairs and you can order food right from your seat.  We’ve never been there before, so I hope it’ll be tons of fun.