Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Quiet Tradition

 

Tube Day Tuesday is taking a little break today, in honor of the holiday.  Not that there was no television today—there are few days like that for me!  Brian had a movie channel on for a while, though I wasn’t paying much attention to that, but after dinner we did watch It’s a Wonderful Life.  I mean, it’s tradition.  Really, I ought to get myself a copy of the thing, because I’d prefer to watch it commercial free, but you have to watch it, even if it means putting up with some ads.

But now, it’s time for my other tradition, sitting in the dark, only the glow of the Christmas tree lights (well, and for right now, the laptop), listening to the holiday music channel.  I’ll sit here quietly for just a while, then I’m going to stretch out on the couch and sleep in the glow of that magical light.  I can’t go to bed just yet because I’ve got to get up again in about four hours and put the potatoes on to cook, and I don’t want to disturb Brian in the middle of the night.  Then I’ll crawl into bed for just a couple more hours sleep before it’s time to get up for real and start getting everything ready for the day.

One tradition that won’t happen this year is eating cinnamon rolls and opening presents with Billy on Christmas morning.  This will be the first year he hasn’t lived at home for the holiday, and he’s opted to not come until the afternoon with the rest of the family.  I’m kind of sad about that, but I’m trying not to be selfish.  I know he’s a grown man now, but that doesn’t keep me from wishing our traditions were as important to him as they are to me.

But, I’m not going to let that disappointment keep me from enjoying my own tradition right now.  I’m going to soak up the peace of the season for just a short while, and I hope you have a moment or two to do that, too.