Monday, October 21, 2013

Snapshot Sunday, Musical Edition

 

Have I mentioned before how much I really like Keith Urban?  If not, I have been remiss.  I’ve been listening to his music for . . . well, I don’t know how long, really.  Five years?  Ten?  A long time. 

Well, a quick check of Wikipedia tells me that the first song I really noticed from him (“Where the Blacktop Ends”) was released in 2001, and my favorite song ever from him (“Days Go By”) in 2004, so I guess a little longer than ten years that he’s been on my radar, and just under ten that I’ve been truly smitten.  So, yeah, a long time. 

Anyway, his Light the Fuse Tour came through OKC last night, so of course I had to be there.  That seemed like a much more sure thing back when I ordered my tickets this past spring, and even last week when I was looking so forward to it.  But by Friday, it was seeming less and less thrilling as I spent the day in bed fighting what I thought was maybe a weirdo migraine.  By Saturday morning (almost noon), when I woke up with gunk running out of my ear, I decided it was likely some sort of sinus problem and I probably should take myself to the doctor.  A quick visit to the walk-in clinic and a $100+ visit to the pharmacy later, I was back home and ready for a nap.

Still, I’d been looking forward to the show for months, not to mention spending seventy-five bucks a pop for the tickets, so there was no way I was missing out.  So after my nap, I loaded up on my expensive medications, stuffed my ears full of cotton balls, and donned a big pair of dark sunglasses, and I was ready.  I can’t say that it was the most fun I’ve ever had at a concert, but I can tell you I’m glad I went.  Mr. Urban puts on a great show—full of energy and fun to go along with the fantastic music—so it’s not really the sort of thing you want to miss out on.  Oh, and at our stop, he had opening acts of Dustin Lynch and Little Big Town, plus a surprise appearance by Miranda Lambert, so lots of bang for your buck. 

Of course, all that energy equals a lot of movement, which, when combined with concert lighting, crowds, and distance, makes it a little difficult to capture photographs of the moment.  This seems especially true when the photographer has to keep closing her eyes to avoid particularly painful direct lighting or strobe effects, but I did manage to get a few that turned out pretty decent, so I’ll share those.  And, if you’re a country fan, (though Brian says, “In what universe is that country music?”) keep an eye out for Keith’s tour in your neck of the woods; it really is an awesome show.

Keith Urban Collage  10-21-13