Friday, October 25, 2013

Creeping Chaos

 

ID-10067188

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I’m kind of a disorganized person.  I’m not bragging about it; that’s just the way it is.  I don’t really like it, but honestly, there’s an awful lot about it that doesn’t bother me too much, either. 

What does bother me, though, is when I’ve reached a breaking point with the chaos and I can’t seem to find a way around it.  For instance, my work is totally disorganized.  You should see my desk.  Though, really, I’d be embarrassed for you to see my desk; it’s that bad.  But we’ve got processes that make too much organization a difficult task, and we’ve got constant emergent issues that could make any sane person go just a little bit bonkers.  But I haven’t yet figured out a way to mold the office into my way of doing things—mostly because I haven’t yet found my way of doing things at this job.  How long does that take, anyway? 

And, you know how it is once chaos starts overrunning you in one aspect of your life:  it snakes its creepy little tentacles into every crevice of your existence.  I’m convinced some sort of chaos overload is why I almost forgot to turn in an assignment today.  Seriously, I did the vast majority of the thing two weeks ago, then almost forgot to put the finishing touches on tonight, and then almost failed to hit the ‘submit’ button when I had to upload the finished product to my professor.  Even as disorganized as I am, I’m not usually that bad.  Wait until the last minute to do things for various and sundry reasons?  Yeah, more often than I should admit.  But just let something so important just slip my mind?  Not usually. 

I’m telling you, it’s the curse of the creeping chaos, and I need a cure.