Monday, May 7, 2012

Drowning My Sorrow in Queso (May Photos--Day 6)




Today's theme is "you". It's apropos, as I was doing a lot of thinking about myself today as I entered into a new phase of motherhood.

Today, my not yet 21 year old son moved to California to make his mark on the world. Now, he had moved into his own apartment for a while last year, but that was a short-lived experiment. So, except for those six months, he's lived his whole life under my roof, where I can say hello to him each and every day and assure myself that the big bad world has not yet done him in. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the idea I won't be able to do that any longer.

I've also been crying a bit. Silly, I know-- everyone leaves their parents behind at some point. And, of course, as much as I'd like to keep him wrapped up in the safety of home and parents forever, I know I can't do that. In truth, even if I could, I'd find a way to make sure I didn't. That wouldn't be good for him, and I only want the very best for his life.

But that's all about him, and as I mentioned, this is about me. That's how it came to be that hubby and I had dinner at my very favorite restaurant. It's the place I go to for celebrations, and also the place I go to when I'm feeling down and need a little pick me up. Today was definitely the latter. Thankfully, it was scrumptious as always and served to perk my spirits just a bit. Taking the above photo helped a little bit, too. There's rarely anything better at bringing a smile than plain old silliness. Although, truth be told, a fresh basket of chips, creamy queso, and a nice crunchy taco goes a long way, too. I'm glad I decided to partake in it all.

But, the photo challenge didn't end there. I knew I'd be writing this post, and I'm not sure there's much that's more "me" than my personal blog-- not even my favorite Mexican food. It seemed fitting that the official entry pic should include it all.





But, the truth is, I can't continue to dwell on missing my son. And I certainly can't continue scarfing down too large amounts of chips and queso to hide my sadness. So I guess I better find some more constructive options. Like maybe calculating how many text messages he could receive before he'd block my number. Or, better yet, maybe I need to start planning a vacation.

I hear it's nice in California this time of year.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Im pleased your accepting this part of his life
    my own mother didnt
    it helped to ruin our relationship

    Pm also pleased you had a wonderful meal out with your hubby :)

    Go for a walk it really helps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I hate to hear that your mom had such difficulty with your transition to adulthood. I clearly understand the challenges, but the one principle guiding my decision making has been that I didn't want to create an environment he would never want to return to. I like to think I've been successful in that.

      Delete