Sunday, July 20, 2014

One Small Step

 

DSC02830

    Forty-five years ago, almost to this very minute, Neil Armstrong was taking a step that would leave its footprint in history.

   I was five years old at the time, and to this day, I don’t know if I have any actual memories of the moon walk, or only those that I have acquired in the intervening years and claimed as my own.  Not that it really matters.  Sure, I’d love to be able to answer a “where were you when” question about this spectacular moment, but it’s enough to even have those hazy feelings of wonder and pride that float around in my brain.

And even those fuzzy memories aren’t necessary for me to still be in awe of the idea that there have actually been men on the moon. Men from Earth, on the moon.  What’s not awesome about that? 

And it’s still awesome, forty-five years later, to contemplate what is possible when people work together toward a common goal.  I think that’s important, maybe now more than ever.  When you think about what we achieved decades ago, with information and technology that’s practically ancient compared to today, it’s exciting to think what we could accomplish now, if only we would pull together just a little bit, and take a few more steps.