Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Of Plans and Flu Bugs

 

So, my plan went like this:  after spending the day with my PTK friends, I’d come home, watch tonight’s holiday episode of NCIS—with Robert Wagner reprising his role as Anthony DiNozzo Sr.—then tell you all about it for this week’s installment of Tube Day Tuesday.  Or maybe talk in general about holiday episodes of regular series.  Something along those lines.  And, okay, so it wasn’t a fully fleshed out plan, but it was still a plan.

However, when I got home this evening, what I found was a husband who appears to have come down with the same stomach flu my son had last week.  Consequently, the last five hours have not involved NCIS, or television, and I’m only managing to get this post typed up in between sessions of back rubbing and ice chips.  It looks like we’re in for another long night.

So, I’ll go back a few months into the archives and re-introduce one of my previous television-themed posts.  I’m sure it doesn’t surprise you that I’ve got a few to choose from, right? 

I’m hoping tomorrow things will have settled back down and I’ll be back to the chatter, but right now, it’s all up to Brian’s stomach.

For now, “My Personal Addiction” . . .

Television is intensely personal.~ Jessica Savitch

For last Tuesday’s daily photo, I told you about my favorite color, inspired by White Collar.  Well, if I’d looked ahead in the prompt list, I probably would’ve waited, and used them for today’s subject: your addiction.   There is no doubt that I’m truly addicted to this television program.

But, really, my addiction goes deeper than that, to the medium itself.  After all, it was only just yesterdaythat I admitted to being a TV-aholic.  It’s been that way as long as I can remember.  Movies are great; live theatre is always fun; and books can take me places like nothing else.  But television . . . television isintimate.  With TV, I get not just an interesting story and fascinating characters, but relationships.  I can’t really explain it, but week after week, episode after episode, I feel like I get to know those characters, understand the way they think and feel, know how they’d react in certain circumstances.  It’s why I get crazy if the writers start taking short-cuts and making stupid mistakes with the characters in their care, because I know when something isn’t right.

Now, don’t get me wrong: I’m not one of those weirdo people who can’t separate reality from make-believe.  I don’t get the actors mixed up with their characters.  I know it’s not real.  But it is a wonderful escape, that comes into my home every single day.  Hard to get much better than that.  And, as addictions go, it’s pretty harmless.

17.  Your Addiction

 

  My addiction: television.  Currently fascinated with White Collar and just about all things USA Network.

So that’s what was going on back in mid-July, which was a slightly better moment in time than this one.  I’ll admit it:  right now, I’d rather be watching TV.