Friday, December 7, 2012

Five Questions and One Confession

 

I spent a few hours out and about this afternoon, trying to get some Christmas shopping done, along with some errands.  I got about half of the things done that I intended.  The one thing I forget every year is how you cannot do anything quickly this time of year.  There’s too much traffic, and too many people in every store you set foot into.  Lines, lines, lines.  And then you’ve got people with absolutely no sense of the frustration they’re causing for others.  The lady in the toy store who wanted to use coupons from the flyer but had no idea if she’d actually purchased anything that qualified, so she’s standing there, flipping pages and comparing items, while the cashier tries to do what he can to help and everyone else just waits.  Or the lady picking up her layaway gift items who—for reasons I will never understand—brought the gift recipients along for the ride, so had to have the cashier dig around for a box to put them in so they could stay hidden as she carried them out to the car.  Or, the most annoying of all, the cashier who didn’t say a single word to me until he handed me my receipt, and then it was a mumbled and insincere, “have a nice day”.  It’s no wonder some people turn into such Scrooges during December.

But, enough of that.  Let’s check in for this week’s questions from Mama M and see what’s going on.


five question friday



1. How many times have you moved and do you have any tips?

Well, I know I moved at least a few times in my pre-memory days, but I’m not sure that counts.  So, starting during my childhood, but since I can actually recall, six times. (But all in the same town.)  My best advice?  Find a place you want to stay the first time.

2. Do you have a budget for the holidays, or just keep sliding the credit card and have a heart attack in Jan?

Not exactly a budget, but I try to have a rough idea of how much I think I’ll spend on each person.  I don’t usually stick to it very closely, but I try.

3. What is the one medical thing you avoid like the plague?

Nothing, really, though like most people, there are a lot of things I’d rather be doing than seeing any medical professional.  I’ve been needing to see my GYN for a while, but I have been putting that off to just sort of lump it together with my annual visit.  Mostly it’s just because it’s inconvenient to make multiple visits, but, really, why see that guy any more than you have to?

4. What your least favorite Christmas song?

Funny you should ask, as I was thinking just today that there’s probably a special circle of Hell for folks like me who dislike some of the classics.  In truth, I love Christmas music, but it wouldn’t break my heart if I never heard Silent Night again, and I can’t get to the button fast enough when The Christmas Song comes on.  Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have admitted that.  I feel the flames already.

5. This Christmas are you spending more, less or about the same? Why?

Definitely less, though probably not as much less as I should be.  We’re a single income household this year, so I have to be a little more frugal.  And, I also started my shopping a little earlier than I normally do (it’s really not possible to start much later than I normally do), so that I could spread out the expenses a bit.

 

And that, as they say, is that.  Have a good weekend, and try not to let the Scrooges get you down.