Friday, December 14, 2012

Five Questions on a Solemn Day

 

It’s all a matter of perspective.  Twelve hours ago, I was sitting at the ER with my son because he needed some fast-acting medicine and fluids to help him fight off the stomach bug that had kept him (and, by extension, me) awake all night.  By the time I went to bed this morning, Billy was finally sleeping soundly, I’d been up almost 24 hours, and all I wanted was some sleep of my own.  Little did I know that at almost that very moment, a small town in Connecticut was undergoing a tragedy that would change their lives forever.Newtown

It’s only been a couple of days since I posted about the violence that seems so rampant in our world these days, but I certainly didn’t expect to have another example to add to the list so soon.  And who could have ever predicted the compounded horror of violence that would take the lives of those who had barely even begun to live?  I spent an exhausting sleepless night worrying about my son, but I can’t imagine the sleeplessness that awaits the parents of twenty children who will never get to grow up, or the pain and anguish of family and friends who will have a pall over their holiday celebrations for the rest of their lives. 

So, yeah, I’m plenty tired, because I’m getting too old to be much good operating on four hours of sleep.  And my son is still feeling pretty cruddy, and probably will for another day or so.  But we’re all still together, and have each other to rely on when we have those rough nights, so we’re some of the lucky ones.  It really is all a matter of perspective. 

But, in the spirit of believing that the normal parts of life have to go on, even while the nation deals with tragedy, we’ll continue with Five Question Friday this week, still knowing that there are so many more important things than silly questions and typing out a post for this blog. 

five question friday


1. If you bake during the holidays, what is your favorite thing to make?

My baking rarely extends beyond some slice and bake cookies or brownies from a box, though they still taste plenty yummy.  Though this year I’m thinking about making some of these cheesecake cups.

2. Present giving: Gift bag vs wrapped box?

I like a mix of both, because boxes look better under the tree and are more fun to open, but bags are a lifesaver for oddly-shaped gifts or when time is running short.

3. What do you keep your thermostat on during the winter/summer in your house?

During the winter, we’re mostly set on 69, though I still often need a blanket (or my snuggie) throughout the day.  In the summer we’re usually at about 73ish, but that’s must less consistent, probably because it’s harder to take off clothes to get cool than it is to put on a blanket and get warm.

4. When thinking of your "Christmas to-do list" what percentage "done" are you?

Not as far along as I’d like to be, but still pretty far.  I’d say about 80% or so.

5. Do you do the "Elf on a Shelf"? If so, is your Elf naughty and what shenanigans has he gotten into?

Nope, no Elf here, though I probably wouldn’t mind having one for myself.

 

 

And that, dear friends, is it for tonight.  Take a moment to remember the people that are important to you, hug them tight, and say a prayer for those who have already had their last hug and never even knew it.