Thursday, March 14, 2013

Spring Is In the Air

 

spring break 3-14-13Image courtesy of Kookkai_nak at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


This evening, shortly before 7:30, spring break officially began!  I mentioned to someone earlier that while I’m beginning to feel an itch to get back to work, I don’t feel that way when it’s time for a break from school and I actually get to take a break.  Those who are juggling a job with their school schedule don’t get that luxury, since work goes on even when classes don’t.  So, yeah, for the next week or so, I’m going to be really glad I don’t have a job to worry about.  Of course, the week won’t be a complete break, since I do have a lot of homework to do before classes resume again, but I’m definitely going to slow things down a bit.

And, the first half of the semester wound down on a pretty positive note.  Four mid-terms, with three As, and one still awaiting a grade.  I sort of think that one will be a B, but I suppose I can even live with that.  Not that there’s much I can do about it now, anyway, so it’s a good thing I’m okay with it.

The other thing that happened today was that Brian and I attended a retirement planning seminar.  I think that might be part of what made me really think about missing having a job, since I don’t have an employer to be worrying about 401Ks and all that fun stuff.  And, besides that rather depressing thought, a day of listening to financial planners, social security representatives, and personnel officers is enough to really drive home just how unprepared we are for life after the daily grind.  Jeez.  Pretty scary.

Also on my mind today is my BFF, Kim, and her darling son, Nathan.  Nathan would have been 16 today, but he passed away about five years ago.  Sixteen.  It’s sort of hard to wrap my head around that, when it seems like only yesterday she welcomed him into this world.  And it reminds me that kids should not be frozen in time at ten years old. 

And the best part of today is that true spring weather seems to have finally rolled in.  It was in the mid-70s today, and is supposed to hit 80 tomorrow.  Other than the fact that I had some chocolate in my car that is now a melted blob, the sunshine is a really good thing.  Maybe some of that homework that has to be done over the break can be done sitting outside, watching the birds, and soaking in the fresh air.  Sounds like a perfect spring break to me.