Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I’d Like to Thank the Blogosphere . . .

 

Liebster Award 3-25-13


Yesterday, I took a look at my comments and found the nicest surprise:  I was nominated for a Liebster Award.  Liebster Awards are for blogs with less than 200 followers (beat that by a wide margin!), and designed to let bloggers share some things about themselves, as well as help promote other small blogs.  Jeannie, over at For What It’s Worth was the lady kind enough to nominate me.  And, as she says, this sort of thing is a grand idea, because small blogs need love, too.

So, the first rule of blog awards is that you should always post the rules, so here goes:

{1} Each blogger should answer the questions the tagger has set for you.

{2} Choose 11 new bloggers to pass the award on to and link them in your post.

{3} Create 11 new questions for the chosen bloggers.

{4} Go back to their page and tell them about the award.

{5} Each blogger should post 11 random facts about themselves.

{6} No tag-backs!!

 

And now, to see what questions Jeannie has for me . . .

Butter or margarine?

Margarine, though that’s mostly a consistency issue than flavor.  Margarine tends to be much more spreadable, which is what I prefer.  And, it’s what I grew up eating, so it is the flavor I’m accustomed to, as well.

Fact or fiction?

Fiction.  Tell me a story, entertain me, take me to another world. 

Musical or Action film?

As much as I love a good musical, I think I have to go with action film.  Maybe it’s because musicals are easier to screw up, so there aren’t really as many good ones.  But, when I’m flipping through the TV channels, surfing around for something good to watch, it’s frequently an action movie that I will land upon.  Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, The Rock, The Negotiator . . . I could go on and on, but those movies never get old.

Realist or a dreamer?

Would you settle for a realistic dreamer?  I’m not exactly a pie-in-the-sky type of a person; I completely get the realities of every day life.  But I am an optimist, and I think with that goes some dreaming. 

Do you read between the lines?

hmm.  Jeannie’s notes about her questions said “interpret as you will”, but this one stumps me a bit.  But, I think everyone makes inferences about any number of things they deal with daily, all based upon past experiences.  So I guess I do read between the lines, because I think it’s hard to take some things just at face value.  But I don’t go looking for trouble, trying to find drama that doesn’t exist.

Are you as tall as you want to be?

In my childhood, I wanted to be shorter.  And then, in my young adulthood, I sometimes wished I was taller, like all those striking beauties that show up on billboards and in magazines.  But in my maturity, I’ve decided I’m fine with my height as it is.

Pet peeve?

People who order food at the Sonic drive-through.  I usually rant about it on Facebook every few months or so.  I’ve even talked about it here before, so I won’t repeat the whole explanation, but it’s high up on my list of peeves.  Also, mean people.

Introvert or Extrovert?

Hah.  I think I’ve discussed that too, and not too terribly long ago, though I don’t remember why.  Oh, yes, here it is; one of the 5QF questions.  Anyway, to keep it short and sweet, introvert.  I’ve never really taken a poll, but I’d guess that’s not all that uncommon among writerly type people.

Favorite quote/movie or song?

So here’s another question up for interpretation.  Favorite quote, movie, or song?  Or, favorite quote from a movie or song?  Doesn’t matter.  Either way, I don’t think I could pick.    I like words, so there are a lot of lines that have ended up on my favorites list over the years.  In my mind lately, though I couldn’t say just why, is “So shines a good deed in a weary world”.  Willy Wonka quoting Shakespeare; does it get any better than that?

How many projects do you have going right now?

My only project at the moment is school. 

What is your "One Thing?" (City Slickers)

I haven’t seen that movie in years, but it seems that the “one thing” was in reference to what you do, right?  Like a career/life path type of thing?  I don’t remember.  But, since Jeannie says I can interpret how I wish, it’s not going to be career related for me.  For one thing, I don’t think I know the answer to that.  Though I hope that working as a paralegal isn’t too far off the mark, since that’s what I’m trying to get myself geared up to do!  But, beyond the work life, the “one thing” for me is pretty simple:  try to be a good person.  That’s sort of my deal.  Be nice to people.  Smile.  Get along.  See the good.  If I can manage that for most of my days, I think I’ll be satisfied. 

 

And now, if you haven’t already heard too much about me, 11 random facts:

  1. I have never been drunk.  Most people find that hard to believe, but it’s true.
  2. I have lots of acquaintances, but few friends.  But my BFF has been my BF for over 30 years.
  3. I’m still sort of afraid of the dark; creepy things are there.
  4. I hope that some day I’ll be able to travel in space.
  5. I don’t like to fly. (But, yes, I still want to go to space.)
  6. I have a pretty good memory.
  7. I have pretty bad handwriting.
  8. There are a lot of foods I don’t like.
  9. I don’t wear makeup.
  10. I am like some sort of mosquito magnet during the summer; they always bite me (and I get big welts).
  11. I can’t go to a baseball game without having a hot dog and some Cracker Jacks.

Next up, the questions for my nominees.  Two things, though.  First, I’m going to re-use a couple of Jeannie’s questions because I liked them.  Second, I’m officially giving my nominees permission to accept an “honorary” Liebster, if they’d prefer not to answer the questions and/or pass the award along.  Okay, here goes:

  1. Do you like amusement park rides?
  2. What’s your pet peeve?
  3. If there was a movie about your life, who would you want to play you?
  4. Last movie you saw at the theater?
  5. Morning person or night owl?
  6. What song makes you cry?
  7. Realist or dreamer?
  8. Believe in love at first sight?
  9. Do you play the lottery?
  10. Beach or mountains?
  11. If you could have one super power, what would it be?

And, now, finally, my Liebster nominees.  I don’t get to visit blogs nearly as often as I’d like, but when I do, these are some of the folks I like to drop in on.  Also, some didn’t have follower information that I could see, so apologies to anyone if I’ve labeled you a “small blog”, and you’ve really got thousands of folks awaiting your every post!

  1. Melissa at The Bright Side
  2. Jessica at Finding Sunshine
  3. Melinda at Musings
  4. Miss Riki at Refreshingly Riki

Well, I have to say, that was sort of fun!  Everything you never wanted to know about me, right?  Well, I don’t imagine I’m ever going to be on stage making an acceptance speech, so this is me, taking my bow.  Many thanks to Jeannie for including me in her list of nominees.  And, since I don’t say it often enough, thank you, Gentle Readers, for being here.

Also, if you’re curious about the beginnings of the award (like I was), it seems we weren’t the first to wonder, and someone has already done a bunch of research to try and track down the info.  What answers she found (which weren’t many, I gotta tell you) were detailed in a post about the Liebster origins.

Okay, guys, I’m off to tag my recipients and then off to bed.  Sweet dreams to you all.