Friday, January 3, 2014

Facebook Friday, January 3

 

Honestly, I would rather be having a Feel Good Friday post today.  After all, I’ve been having a pretty good week, including a relaxing day spent with Brian today, so it’s definitely a FGF here. 

But, while there have been a few things I’ve stumbled across lately that I might like to share, the thing that’s really on my mind today is a story that’s been making the rounds the last couple of days.  It is the story of Chris Kluwe, a former NFL punter who believes he was fired for speaking out in support of same-sex marriage. 

Now, let me say that I don’t follow the NFL games, much less the personal lives of the players.  So, how outspoken has he been?  I don’t know?  How was his kicking in the final season of his career?  I don’t know that either.  And I certainly don’t know if Kluwe is the kind of person who would make up such allegations, or even exaggerate them for some sort of personal gain.  I will say that I would hope no one is that kind of person, but there’s just really not much telling these days.

But, what seems undisputed is that Kluwe really has become a proponent for same-sex marriage.  And I think that’s a good thing, as well as a sometimes difficult thing.  It’s hard sometimes even for the “average” folks among us to speak up and say something that we know will not be universally well received, but certainly it must be more difficult for the celebrity types.  And maybe, though I certainly don’t know for sure, but just maybe this particular topic is even more difficult for the pro sports types, who are expected to be all he-man and macho, which seems contrary to the idea of believing in marriage equality. 

So, while I hope Mr. Kluwe’s stand on equality and social justice did not cost him his job, I commend him for his willingness to perhaps put that job in jeopardy in an effort to speak up for what he believes.