Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hodge Podge (Jan. 19, 2006)

It’s odd sometimes, the way the mind works. The things we think about on a given day can be so varied, and have so little relationship to each other. Heck, sometimes they don’t even have much relationship to those of us doing the thinking, but it doesn’t stop them from running around our brains. Here are a few things that’ve crossed my thoughts in the past week or so.


  • It’s been unseasonably warm this winter in my part of the world, and very dry all last year. We’re way below normal rainfall amounts, and wildfires have been sprouting up all over the state. Seems sort of ominous somehow, when Nature just keeps doing weird things.

  • And, speaking of Nature, I have a friend whose daughter moved away a few months ago. She wanted to find someplace with a nicer climate and no tornados, which makes sense. The odd part is that she chose Portland, where it has apparently rained for the past 38 days, and they routinely deal with the threat of tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruption.

  • It seems Brad didn’t really call Jennifer to tell her that Angelina was pregnant before the news was released to the media. My God, what is this world coming to?

  • The compressor on our heat pump went out last week. Unseasonable weather or not, we still have to have heat, so the guy’s coming to replace the unit. I wish it could’ve waited until I had my holiday bills all paid.

  • Another friend of mine went to the doctor last week and got some potentially scary news. We’re all just waiting for a final answer, but he’s in my thoughts and prayers.

  • A man in California just had a car returned to him that was stolen back in 1969. Without doubt, this is very cool, but does he have to repay the insurance company now?

  • I’ve played Powerball twice now in my home state, and I haven’t hit the jackpot yet. What’s up with that?

Well, that’s enough of that. And if you’ve read all this and are now wondering just what the point was, don’t forget that I started out warning you that it was odd.