Saturday, June 20, 2009

Carpe Diem (March 10, 2006)

A call came into our office today that made me stop for just a moment and think. The caller was the surviving relative of a gentleman who passed away the same day he had activated his account with us, and she just needed to finalize everything. If that doesn’t make you stop to contemplate the whims of fate, I’m not sure anything would. I mean, here’s this guy, just going about his business. He’s got a family, friends, a job, all the normal stuff; he’s just living his life. He went to a store and bought a cell phone, for crying out loud.

And then, in the blink of an eye, there’s an accident, and it’s all over. His family and friends are mourning; whatever career aspirations he had are done; and someone is left to call and cancel the cell phone.

Those are the moments when you’re suddenly grateful, the moments when you realize maybe you should be nicer to the folks you know, tell your family you love them more often, do the things that bring you joy. Time is fleeting, and we should enjoy it while we can. Someone could be canceling my cell phone tomorrow; I’d at least like them to know I got to use it first.