Tuesday, March 11, 2014

New Show—Resurrection

 

The last time we talked television—though that’s been a couple of weeks now—I told you about a new show that I was going to give a chance.  Not that I have a whole lot of extra time, or DVR space, for a bunch of new shows, but I have another one that I’m checking out just to see how it flies.

This weekend saw the premiere of Resurrection, something I’ve been looking forward to for a couple of months or so now.  The basic premise is simple, and probably not much of a surprise, based on the title:  dead people return to life.  Cool?  Or creepy?  I’m guessing it’ll be a little bit of both before it’s all said and done.

The pilot was mostly well done, following the story of young Jacob returned to his home, thirty-two years after his death—though I’ll admit that an awful lot of people seemed to accept the idea that a long-dead child just strolled back into town.  Also, as a minor thing, where did this kid learn how to use a cell phone?  He died back in 1982, when mobile phones were still installed in cars or carried around in  suitcases.  But, hand him a smart phone, and he not only knows how to play Donkey Kong, but he can also exit the game, find a notepad app, and write his name on the screen.  Come back from the dead? Okay.  Navigate a mobile operating system intuitively?  Seems unlikely.

But, back to the main concept, people returning from the dead.  It’s a storyline that appeals, because no matter how much we understand it cannot be, we’ve all wished for just one more chance to visit with someone we’ve lost.  Naturally, the show begins with a child returnee, because that’s certainly going to be the story that tugs on the most heartstrings, but by the end of the hour, we’ve met the second to return, and he’s an adult.  But, based on the previews, it looks like those two are just the tip of the iceberg, and the sleepy little town might be in for something of a population explosion.

So, how do the dead come back? And why?  Well, that’s what we don’t know, of course.  Or, are they even back?  Maybe they’re pod people, or something, clever façades, designed to make a town believe the impossible.   Maybe that’s why Jacob was immediately able to adapt to technology.  Or why he didn’t have a heartbeat at first, but then seemed to recognize one was expected.  I don’t know; at this point, it could be literally anything, but I’ve read enough Stephen King to believe that such miracles don’t usually occur without some sort of negative consequence.  It’s just a matter of waiting to see what kind of horror might befall the people of Arcadia as they welcome back their lost loved ones. 

But, the waiting might be the downfall of the show.  Because while I’m more than willing to wait as mysteries twist and turn and mythologies develop, I expect that there will also still be compelling story lines each week, and that mysteries don’t continue to exist simply for the sake of mystery.  I absolutely don’t want to watch a show that delivers questions week after week, month after month, but never any answers.  I am not that patient; I will cut my losses and abandon a show that does that for too long. (And, no, I was never a Lost fan.)

Another concern:  it seems like yesterday I was drawn into FlashForward, which lasted about fifteen minutes before it left the air and never explained exactly what happened in those damnable two minutes.  And what really happened to The Nine inside that bank?  I absolutely don’t want to be writing a blog post years from now still unsure if Jacob (and the future returnees) are actual miracles, or aliens from some other dimension, but television doesn’t have a great track record for letting things develop before giving them the axe.

Still, I think that I am physiologically incapable of not watching this show, at least long enough to give it a fighting chance.  I mean, it is dead people returning, and they don’t even seem to be zombies.  You have to admit, that’s at least intriguing.  So I’ll be watching for at least a while, and hoping for the best.  If you’re equally intrigued, you can check it out on Sunday evenings.