Friday, January 18, 2013

Five Questions, Five Things on an Island

 

Good evening, friends.  I’m entering in to my last “free” weekend for a while, as classes begin again next Tuesday.  On the upside, Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be beautiful, so I hope to get outside to do a little walking.  Maybe I’ll even see if we can grab some sandwiches and sit in a park somewhere for a while.  Then Monday is supposed to be cold again, so maybe that final day of freedom will be the perfect opportunity to see a movie or something.  Then it’s back to the grindstone.

But all of that is days from now; for now, it’s time for Five Question Friday.

five question friday


1. If you were going to be stuck on a deserted island, which 5 books, movies, people and foods would you take along?

Wow.   That’s a really hard question.  Let’s start with the people, which might be the easiest, but it still awfully hard.  See, the problem with people is that they tend to come in groups, so someone that I might want to take along might only want to come along if they could bring someone of their own.  That could be an issue if their someone wasn’t going to be in my five.  See how that works?  But, in an attempt to reconcile that just a bit, I would choose my most immediate family: husband, son, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew.  (But don’t get me started on the reality of how such a thing would leave Granny unattended.)

Now, the even harder ones.  Let’s see . . .

Books:

  1. Some sort of really excellent encyclopedia
  2. Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
  3. A Separate Peace
  4. The Stand (I think; something by Stephen King)
  5. Winnie the Pooh

Movies:

  1. E.T.
  2. Star Wars
  3. The Rock (Or maybe Con Air)
  4. The Negotiator
  5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Foods.  This one’s tricky.  Are we to assume an unlimited, imperishable supply?  Or that we only get whatever we stuffed in our duffle bag, and when it’s gone (either consumed or spoiled), it’s gone?  What the heck, I’m doing the answering, so I’ll say it’s the former.  And what about combo items?  Like, I would gladly take tacos if that was one item, but not if it was four.  Okay, I’ll try and just use individual items.

  1. Eggs
  2. Longhorn cheese
  3. Bacon
  4. Bread
  5. Green grapes (Or maybe watermelon; it’s a real toss-up.)


2. What is your thought on year round school?

Not having a school-aged child any longer, I don’t really think about it much, and I’m not even sure exactly how it’s set up.  My instinct is that kids need a break from the normal routine of school, but it could be that multiple smaller breaks instead of one long summer break could work as well.  Though it gets really hot around here in the summertime, and I’m pretty sure that’s not very conducive to learning.

3. What is your most embarrassing potty story? (Can't be one of your kids' potty stories either!)

Well, we’ve all walked into the wrong public bathroom at some point, right?  I’m not sure that I really have a particularly embarrassing potty story other than that.  To be completely frank, though, that’s exactly the answer you’d get even if I did have a story, because it sounds a lot nicer than, “It’s none of your business!”

4. What's the temperature where you are?

Right this very minute?  It’s 45° outside, 67° here in my living room.  But like I said, it’s supposed to be really nice tomorrow; expecting 65°.

5. Are you a winter/spring/fall/summer person?

Spring, for sure.  Like most folks, I don’t like extremes, and as mentioned earlier, our summers can be pretty extreme.  I don’t care for cold at all, so winter’s out.  Fall is okay temperature-wise, but we don’t get really pretty leaves or anything, so that leaves spring.  Nice temperatures, sunshine, flowers blooming and butterflies all around.  Just about perfect.  (For the record, around these parts, it’s typically about two weeks long!)

And that, dear friends, wraps up another round of 5QF.  As always, feel free to share your answers in comments, or do your own blog post and pop on over to My Little Life and link up.

And, whatever your plans are for the weekend, enjoy!