Thursday, September 13, 2012

Tell Those Black Cats to Suck It!

 

superstition 9-13-12

 

As I’ve likely mentioned before, I am constantly astounded by the interesting things I run across on the Internet.  Of course, it’s not like you need me to tell you that there are strange and wonderful things going on around in the world around us.  Or that the great WWW is like the planet’s water cooler around which we can all gather and share ideas about all of those strange and wonderful things. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Image credit:  luigi diamanti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


So it was this evening, as I was guiltily consuming enjoying a chocolate milkshake that I realized that yesterday (September 12) was National Chocolate Milkshake Day.  Well, that gave me at least something of an excuse for my indulgence tonight: I was just trying to recognize the significance of the date, even if it was a little late.  That’s my story; don’t judge.

But then, I had to wonder what I might be missing out on today, and heaven forbid I’d already missed my chance at National Play Hooky From School Day or something.  But, no, what I found was not that I could’ve ditched my study sessions tonight with some sort of impunity, but, that I could turn up my nose at black cats in my path, upside down horseshoes, and even the students tonight who didn’t have the sense to put their umbrellas down before walking into the building.  But, seems those students might have known something I didn’t know, because, you see, today is National Defy Superstition Day

Call me crazy, but I’ll be the first to admit that I pretty routinely avoid cracks in sidewalks, upside down pennies, and the aforementioned open umbrellas while indoors.  And, while I’ve got nothing against black cats in general, I really don’t want them running out in front of me unexpectedly, especially at night.  Yeah, I’m a little bit superstitious.  Even if I’d known early in the day what today’s date was all about, I’m not sure I could’ve brought myself to truly defy superstition.  I mean, isn’t that just asking for trouble?  It seems this guy didn’t have any problems with it, though:



I wasn’t familiar with the whole “saying goodbye from a bridge” bit that he talks about, but I’ll be sure to add that to my list of things to avoid whenever possible.  And, if you’re wondering what other kinds of strange things people might believe, you can find a list here.  It’s got just over a hundred odd superstitions, but I feel certain the list is not all-inclusive. I mean, it doesn’t even mention the bridge thing.

So, if, like me, you were unaware of the importance of today—and if you’re feeling particularly lucky brave—you’ve still got about half an hour (well, in my time zone anyway) to go out and thumb your nose at all those pesky superstitions.  I wish you luck with that, but I’m just going to sit right here on my couch and try not to do anything to upset the universe for a while. 

Oh, and just to get you a little bit prepared for tomorrow, September 14th is National Cream Filled Donut Day.  You’re welcome.

Do you have observe any superstitions?