Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Song of Life

 

Now that our ΦΘΚ group has returned from the national convention, it’s time to start putting together whatever we might have learned and trying to put it to use for our chapter.  Of course, it’s also time to take a look back and remember the fun we had.  As the media officer for our group, I need to put together a newsletter about both this most recent gathering, as well as our regional convention a few weeks ago.  But I have another job to tackle, as well.

The other thing I am tasked with is sorting through the hundreds of photos we took while in San Jose and putting together a slide show.  It seemed like a simple enough request when our advisor tossed it out, until I sat down to plan it out and immediately realized I’d need music to go along with the pictures.  That part didn’t seem so simple at all.  Music seems like such a fundamental part of life, and it always seems to make everything better, but how do you pick a single song to represent a feeling, philosophy, or event?  Or even a life.

On the plane home, the in-flight magazine was dedicated to baseball, and it had a small blurb about major league players and their walk-up songs.  You know, those snippets of songs that play as a hitter comes up to bat, or a relieving pitcher makes his way to the mound?  Well, the article said that some of the players just choose a song that they really like, but some really try to choose something that fits their personality.  Even then, I was thinking how hard that would be.  I’ve wondered a time or two what my own personality would sound like set to music, but I’m not sure I’ve ever come up with an answer that completely satisfies.

You may be wondering what would make someone think about a personal theme song if they weren’t reading some random magazine article, though I’d propose that more people have probably wondered about that than you might think.  But, also, as I’ve probably mentioned before, I’m a huge fan of The Big Bang Theory, and during one episode, Raj had a theme song tee shirt.  It’s a real thing, and it can be personalized with whatever music you’d like.  Of course I had to wonder about what kind of song I’d want following me around on a piece of clothing. 

Anyway, while for myself I would probably choose something with a happy, hopeful message in its lyrics, deciding what might work best for the PTK slideshow was a tricky thing.  I looked through lists of friendship songs, fun songs, travel songs, popular songs, school songs.  I read song lyrics, browsed through YouTube, and just plain racked my brain.  I just couldn’t decide what I wanted to use.  You’d think I’d been asked to create the soundtrack for a major motion picture or something.

Finally, I made a decision, or at least a preliminary one.  I won’t know for sure, of course, until I get all the photos selected and everything put together.  But I think I’m going with “These Are the Days”, by 10,000 Maniacs.  It’s got mostly appropriate lyrics, a good tempo for such a project, and doesn’t sound too old for a group of college kids.  At least, that’s my hope.  If you’re not familiar with it, take a listen and let me know what you think.



Oh, and by the way, while I’m not absolutely certain, I think if I had to pick my own theme song right this minute, I might go with “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”.  What about you?  What’s your song?