Wednesday, September 5, 2012

H is for Home Alone

 

alone 9-5-12

                                                                    Image credit:  Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No, not a young child accidentally forgotten, leaving him to defend the homestead against hapless burglars.  Tonight, I’m the one flying solo in the house, and I’m having just about as much fun as Kevin McAllister.

Since I’ve been out of work, I’ve actually had quite a bit of time alone here at the house, but not many evenings alone.  You’d think it wouldn’t matter, but it’s a whole different feel when you have an afternoon alone, but know you’ve still got some chores to get done, dinner to plan, etc.  At night, everything that needed to be done has been done, and the time is mine to do with as I please.

And how do I please?  An exercise DVD watched in the living room, with lots more room for walking around than in my exercise room.  Dinner when I’m hungry (which is a bit later than DH is usually hungry).  A little bit of school work.  And, as you’ve probably determined, part of the time is being devoted to the blog. 

But the best part?  Total control of the television.  Not only to watch what I want—though that’s obviously a big plus—but to listen how I like it.  I’m pretty sure both the men in my household have hearing deficiencies, based on the volume at which they prefer to watch TV.  It drives me batty.  When Brian goes to bed at night (always before me, because he has to get up so early in the morning), the first thing I do is turn the TV down to about half the volume he had it blaring.  It’s so much more pleasant the way I like it.  Winking smile 

Now, the flip side of being home alone at night is that I’m actually sort of a ‘fraidy cat about things like that.  You never know what kind of crazies might be lurking in the dark, and if I’m alone too long, I start thinking about those sorts of things.  Especially on a Wednesdays, when I watch Criminal Minds.  I know; it would be easier not to watch shows about crazies, right?  But it’s one of my favorites.  I’m a strange contradiction, sometimes.  Anyway, the point being, here in just a bit, it’ll be completely dark, so I’ll have to close all the curtains before I tune in to see what’s up with tonight’s whacko unsub.  But, Billy should be home from work by about ten o’clock, so it really won’t be too late at all, and then I’ll have company again.  It’s just about the perfect amount of alone time. 

And now, I think I’ll sign off to enjoy the solitude of my home, alone. 

What do you like to do when you have time all to yourself?


ABCW11

                                                                                        

                                                                Linking up with the folks over at Mrs. Nesbitt’s.

                                                   Hop on over and enjoy more H entries.