Friday, September 7, 2012

5 Questions and a Cause

 

Before we get started on this week’s Five Question Friday, I’d like to make a brief mention of a subject dear to my heart:  cancer research.  I can’t claim it’s purely altruistic; I have deeply personal reasons for wanting to rid the world of this horrible disease.  Like too many people, I’ve known people personally touched by the tragedy of cancer, including losing my own mother twenty years ago.  It’s long past time that we work together and find a way to ensure no family ever suffers that loss again.

Stand Up 9-7-12



That brings us to Stand Up to Cancer, a relatively new group dedicated to bringing an end to cancer.  Maybe you saw their telethon this evening?  Their mission is to bring together the different players in the research world and create collaboration rather than competition, to inspire people to work together for the greater good.  As they say: This is where the end of cancer begins: when we unite in one movement, unstoppable.

I’m not here to preach their message, only to say that I believe in it, and to make you aware (if you were not already) that they’re there.  If you’re inclined, take a bit of time to browse around their site and acquaint yourself with them.  If you like what you see, and if you can help, there is no donation too small.

And, now, let’s get to the Friday questions. 

five question friday

 

 

 

 

 

 



1. What is your favorite fall family tradition?

We don’t have a lot of true traditions.  There’s always football in the fall, either watching on TV or going to the games, but other than that, the only real tradition is a family Thanksgiving dinner.

2. If money weren't an issue, how many kids would you have?

Two, or maybe three.  Money might be the most obvious limited resource when it comes to raising kids, but it’s certainly not the only resource.  Too many people in the family would be more than I could accommodate.  And my husband’s resources are apparently even more limited, as he’s the one who was insistent that one was absolutely enough.

3. If you were to get a tattoo, what would it be and where would you put it?

I like to think that I have a fairly decent imagination, but I honestly can’t conceive of any set of circumstances that leads to me getting a tattoo, so I’ve got absolutely no idea.

4. What condiment is a must in your house?

Miracle Whip.  We also usually have mustard (both yellow and brown), but the Miracle Whip is the one that I can’t do without.

5. How did your spouse/fiancé propose?

Nothing like in the movies.  We’d been talking about marriage for a while—nothing truly official, just talking, the way people do as their relationship develops, making plans, but not really labeling them as plans, you know what I mean?  Anyway, then one night we were out at the mall, just walking around after dinner, and he said, “You want to go look at rings?”  And that was pretty much it.  I will say that when we went back to pick up my rings after sizing, he did actually say the words as he slipped the ring on my hand, but there was no kneeling involved. 


And that’s it for this week.  Thanks, as always, for following along.  If you’re going to link up with Mama M for your own shot at the questions, join the hop below, but please be sure to let me know.  And, if not, just tell me your answers in the comments.  Always glad to learn more about you.

Wishing you all a happy weekend.